One of the first books Plaidswede published (2002) was Dem Little Bums: The Nashua Dodgers, by Steve Daly.
In 1997, Steve was the assistant sports editor of The Telegraph in Nashua. He wrote an award-winning series on the racial integration of baseball when Don Newcombe and Roy Campanella arrived in Nashua in 1946. If that sounds familiar, you're right. As the Ken Burns documentary on Jackie Robinson now airs, you've heard the names of Newcombe and Campanella several times, when they played in Brooklyn. Before that, they integrated baseball in Nashua, New Hampshire.
I was editor of The Telegraph when Steve wrote the series and when Don Newcombe returned, 50 years later, to Nashua. The story of the Nashua Dodgers fascinated me, and I decided when I started Plaidswede in 2000 that Dem Little Bums: The Nashua Dodgers would be one of our first books.
Murder Ink 2 guidelines:
1. Submissions should be 1,000 to 8,000 words long.
2. The story can be contemporary or historical -- as long as it features a strong New England newsroom connection.
3. Submissions MUST include your name, address, phone number and email on the first page.
4. Follow standard manuscript format: double-spaced, include page numbers, Times New Roman 12-point preferred.
5. Payment will be $50 on publication and two copies of the book. Anticipated publication date is Feb. 1, 2017.
6. Submission deadline is Aug. 1, 2016. All rejections/acceptances will be sent by Aug. 1.
7. E-mail submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Fresh ink ... authors, publishers, send your news to email@example.com.
To contact Plaidswede about your book, see the About section of this site.
This site uses payment through PayPal. If you are uncomfortable with that, and wish to order our books, please call Plaidswede at 603 785-4811.